Vidalia Onion Sausage with Vidalia Onion Slaw
Vidalia Restaurant & Bistro Bis Washington, D.C.
This is a unique make-ahead dish for a dinner party.
- Mix 1:
- 8 cups chopped Vidalia Onions
- 2 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tbs. dry mustard
- 1 tbs. honey
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Mix 2:
- 3 tbs. chopped parsley
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 four-foot cleaned sheep casing (available at gourmet grocery stores and butcher shops)
- Mix 3:
- 1 medium green cabbage shredded thin
- 2 tbs. salt
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 large Vidalia Onion, sliced thin
- 2 golden apples, peeled, cored and grated
Place Mix 1 in a bowl and stir well. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 12 hours. Combine Mix 1 and Mix 2. Stir well. Adjust seasoning. Stuff casings with onion mixture. Twist into three-inch links and tie with strings.
Mix all ingredients together. Let sit covered in refrigerator 1 to 2 days. Adjust seasoning.
To cook, place slaw mixture in baking dish. Place links on top. Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 25 minutes.