Vidalia® Onion stuffed with Lamb and Apricots
- 6 medium sized Vidalia® Onions
- 5 tbsp. butter
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. minced lemon zest
- 16 dried apricot halves, chopped
- ½ lb. ground lamb
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp. coarse fresh bread crumbs
1. Without peeling onions, cut about 1” off the top of each, and enough off the bottom so that onions stand upright. Reserve top. Remove all but the outer 2 layers of each by scooping out centers with a pairing knife or pushing them up through the top. Set shells and tops aside; finely chop centers.
2. Melt 3 tbsp. butter in a skillet on medium-low heat. Add chopped onions and cook until soft, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, bring chicken stock to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Add lemon zest and apricots and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add lamb and cinnamon to onions; increase heat to medium; season with salt and pepper. Cook, continually stirring until the lamb is crumbly and just cooked through—about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in stock-apricot mixture and 2 tbsp. each of chopped parsley and mint. Cool slightly.
4. Spoon filling into onion shells; place in an ovenproof dish. Heap bread crumbs on top (lay onion tops along-side); dot with remaining butter. Pour 1/4 cup water into dish. Bake, basting twice, for 20 minutes, then cover with aluminum foil and bake until onions are tender, for an additional 20 minutes. Garnish with remaining mint and parsley. Serve with onion tops.