Yield: 8 Servings
2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 TBSP Chopped Garlic
1 ½ lbs. Vidalia Onions, Julienned
2 lbs. Green Tomatoes, Rinsed, Cored and Medium Dice
¼ Cup Fresh Basil, Chiffonade
2 TBSP Fresh Oregano Leaves, Rough Chopped
As Needed Kosher Salt
As Needed Cracked Black Pepper
3 Cups French Baguette, Cut into Medium Dice
2 TBSP Old Bay Seasoning
½ Cup Unsalted Butter, Melted
½ Cup Parmigiano Reggiano, Grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add Vidalia onions and chopped garlic. Cook onions while stirring until they begin to brown and caramelize, about 6 minutes. Season onion and garlic mixture with kosher salt and remove from heat once golden brown.
- Place the onion mixture into to 3-quart baking dish with sides at least 2 inches high, and spread onions evenly onto the bottom of the container.
- Toss together the diced green tomato, basil, and oregano in a bowl. Season generously with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. Evenly distribute the tomato mixture on top of the onion mixture.
- Place diced bread, Old Bay Seasoning, melted butter, and Parmigiano Reggiano in a separate bowl and mix until thoroughly coated.
- Place bread mixture on top of tomatoes evenly.
- Place Tomato and Vidalia Onion Crumble in a 375-degree oven cook for 20 minutes until topping is golden brown and juices are bubbling. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.