Yield: 6 Servings
3 TBSP Unsalted Butter
2 TBSP Granulated Sugar
2 lbs. Vidalia Onions, Halved Crosswise, 2-Inch-Thick Slices
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
¼ cup Woodford Reserve Bourbon (Your Favorite Bourbon)
1 Sheet Frozen Puff Pastry (Pepperidge Farms) Thawed
As Needed Cracked Black Pepper
2 Tsp Chopped Fresh Thyme, Divided
4 oz. Montchevre, Crumbled Goat Cheese
As Needed Local Honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Melt the unsalted butter in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet (Cast Iron or Non-Stick Pan) over medium-low heat; swirl to coat bottom. Evenly distribute the sugar over the melted butter.
- Place 12 to 14 onion halves in the butter mixture in the skillet, cut sides down, with sides touching. Cut remaining onion halves into quarters, place, cut sides down, and place these cuts in the gaps between onions in skillet.
- Cover and cook onions for 8-10 minutes, season the top of the onions with kosher salt and 1 Tbsp. Water halfway through. Add bourbon and 1 TBSP of chopped Fresh Thyme and evenly distribute over the onion mixture; cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are caramelized. Remove from heat.
- Roll the pastry sheet into a 12-inch square on a lightly floured surface; cut into a 12-inch round. Place pastry round over onions in skillet.
- Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven, and immediately invert onto a serving plate. Let cool for 15-20 minutes. Cut into six pie slices and Garnish the top with Goat Cheese Crumbles and remaining chopped thyme. Drizzle Local Honey on top and serve.
Get the lastest news straight in your inbox.